quinta-feira, outubro 26, 2006

Loneliness is palpable.

Loneliness is palpable.
"Loneliness is palpable." - this is what the character Carrie Bradshaw from the series Sex and the City once said. And that´s what I was wondering about all these days... How is it palpable? How far does it go?
Simple Present tense -"is" - states for something we are as usual, or for the universal truth... no matter what the grammar rules say, the referred sentence is the kind of thought that we do not only feel, but it is so true that we can even touch... palpable!
There are moments in life we make choices. Choices end in consequences. The fact that we choose being alone for a number of reasons brings us loneliness at times. People are not any longer committed to themselves to keep up a real face-to-face friendship, because that may not look 'that' important, after all, they can find friends anywhere in the world... through the web. For instance, they can set an appointment and then just cancel at the last minute via e-email, it doesn´t matter whether you have had the chance to reach out the cancelling message or not. Not even checking if you really got it. "I sent the email." And that´s all about. I become really upset when this kind of thing happens to me. But I understand that after the advent of the World Wide Web, people are no longer afraid of losing real friends, once they can find many more virtual ones. And that, apparently, fulfills their happy lives: on the virtual plan, they have companions worldwide, all happy, smiling, sending you millions of "hi"-"hello"-"i-love-you"-s and then you are just fine. You are never alone. And may that lead people to give more values to virtual relationships rather than to the real ones?
As for me myself, I think I am able to deal with both - virtual and real - networks. I am able to get to know interesting, nice people, sharing the same interests... and of course, I am very selective about them... to not just making links and connections for the sake of being popular... (4,989 friends and oh-i´m-the-best! thing) no, definitely not that... Even virtually, in the land of new-friends-every-day, I just identify myself with people who care about others, who share the same beliefs and values, who are committed to the friendship thing... the "crème de la crème"... Oh, yes... And it is important to say that I am always there for the virtual good friends too... that means, I made an appointment, there I go, ontimely, committed to them. Exactly the same way I did to my classmates´appointment last Monday, to go to the pizzeria, and... precisely I got to the place, and ontimely found my palpable loneliness. Nobody showed up. Great!
Well, it just killed me a little bit. I felt so lonely that I couldn´t stop myself from going to the shopping mall. Not for compensatory compulsive shopping... (didn´t even have energy for that...) But I stopped at the food court and grabbed a slice of cheesy pizza... just the slices we were supposed to have together - lonely I ate it... but - delicious after all!

2 Comentários:

Blogger Unknown disse...

well, I can´t express me so good in english but I´ll try: I love the "virtual" friendships because it keep in touch people thet sometimes never will meet on the street, parties, cinema...or any place you phisicly can go. Just here, I can meed my first "Oriental" friend, with a interesting and intelligent too se life with clean eyes better than a loto of people in the word!

Thanks for internet to meet you!

Kisses!

28/10/06 19:35  
Blogger Betty N. disse...

Oh, yeah!

That´s what I meant when I said:

"Even virtually, in the land of new-friends-every-day, I just identify myself with people who care about others, who share the same beliefs and values, who are committed to the friendship thing... the "crème de la crème"... Oh, yes..."

Yes... that´s all about you, my dearest first Internet celebrity!

kisses, a lot!

29/10/06 04:16  

Postar um comentário

Assinar Postar comentários [Atom]

<< Página inicial